Haring Ibon “PHILIPPINE BIRDS AS ART” Photography
Bird in Focus (BIF) in cooperation with Wild Bird Photographers of the Philippines (WBPP)
The Bird Photography contest begins on October 20, 2019, and ends on November 20, 2019. Online entries may already be submitted as soon as these guidelines have been published and uploaded, and must be received by 11:59 PM Philippine Time (PHT) on November 4, 2019. Online entries shall be referred to herein as “Entries” collectively. Entries become the property of the Sponsor, and receipt will not be acknowledged.
The competition is open to all who are between the ages of 12 and 90 at the time of entry. Entrants below 18 years old must obtain verified parental consent as set forth herein prior to entering.
The following are the classifications of participants:
- WBPP Organization Member – an individual who is member of the WBPP Organization, have paid its membership and annual dues, and is in good standing as certified by the WBPP Board of Trustees. WBBP Organization members may submit a maximum of three (3) entries in every category.
- WBPP Online Member – an individual who is a member of the WBPP Online Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/wbpp.admin/ for the last five (5) months and have at least posted therein two bird photographs and have commented on others’ photos at least five (5) times. WBPP Online members may submit a maximum of two (2) entries in every category.
- Non-WBPP Member – any individual who is not a member of the WBPP Organization nor of the WBPP Online Group. Non-WBPP members may submit a maximum of just one (1) entry in each category.
III. SUBJECT AND CATEGORIES
The subject of the contest is Philippine Birds or bird species that can be found to the
The categories for entries are:
- Natural History – presentation of images of Philippine birds that have not been
substantially altered except for minor burning and dodging, minor adjustments in
exposure, and/or color correction. Cropping is acceptable.
- Digital Arts – an artistic process that involves digital technology like computer
applications, and other relevant hardware or software applications, provided the images used are natural history photographs of Philippine birds.
IV. SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
V. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
Entries for the Digital Arts category may be emailed to [email protected]
- Entries must be in JPG format, 300 dpi, at least 2048 pixels at the longest size
- Photographs taken with a digital camera are eligible
- Photographs must be taken not more than eight (8) years before the date of entry
- Each entry must be the submitting entrant’s own.
- Each entry must have a title, and the same is reflected in the image’s file in the following manner: 1_category_title.jpg where “1” refers to the first entry. For examples: 1_birdsasart_angbanog.jpg, 1_digitalarts_thebanquet.jpg
- No name or initials of the entrants must be indicated in the image’s file name.
- The email of the entry must include the list of entries, details of each entry (name of
bird, location, shooting details, date), short write-up, and short mprofile of the entrant.
The entrant must provide upon request all appropriate clearances, permissions and releases for the entry in a form and substance determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion (in the event a participant cannot provide all required releases, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify the applicable entry, or seek to secure the releases and clearances for Sponsor’s benefit, or allow the applicable entry to remain in the competition).
Any entry that, in the Sponsor’s good faith judgment, violates the Submission Requirements may be disqualified. Entries must be received by the deadline set forth herein or as otherwise stated on the Sponsor’s sites or posts. The email’s database clock will be the official time keeper for this contest.
The competition consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation unless further evaluation is required due to a tie.
In the first round, ten (10) finalists for each category will be chosen by a panel of Judges.
In the second round, top three (3), ranked as Winner, First Runner-up and Second Runner-up, will be chosen by a panel of judges.
The Judging Panel will evaluate the entries based on the following criteria:
- Impact and Creativity – 50%
- Photographic Quality – 50%
In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest “Impact and Creativity” score will be deemed the winner. If a tie still remains, the highest “Photographic Quality” score will be deemed the winner. If a tie still remains, the tied entries will be re judged by the Judging Panel based on the same criteria outlined above. Decisions of the Judging Panel are final and are not subject to appeal.
The first evaluation judging will take place on November 5-8, 2019. The second evaluation judging will take place on November 9-15, 2019.
The first evaluation judging will be undertaken by Alain Pascua and Rey Sta Ana. The second evaluation judging will be undertaken by Art Morris and Bjorn Olesen. Judging will be made online and separately. In the event that the second evaluation judges will not be available, for any reason, the first evaluation judges will undertake the second evaluation judging.
Photographs will be displayed at the 1 st Green and Wild Expo in SM Aura on November 20-21 and will be posted in the Sponsor’s sites for People’s Choice Award. Selection of the winning entry for the People’s Choice award shall be determined by popular vote, with the award given to the entry with the greatest number of votes received in both expo and online.
VII. ENTRANT LICENSES/RELEASES
By entering the Competition, all entrants (and their respective parents and legal guardians) grant a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to the Authorized Parties, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) in connection with the competition and its promotion. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Entrants (and their respective parents and legal guardians) consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
The Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, composite, morph, scan,
duplicate, or alter the entry for any purpose which the Sponsor deems necessary or desirable. The Sponsor shall have the right to freely assign its rights hereunder, in whole or in part, to any person or entity. The Sponsor shall retain the rights granted in each entry even if the entry is disqualified or fails to meet the Submission Requirements or even it if it determined that the entrant who made the entry is ineligible to enter the Competition or win a prize.
Prizes for the finalists and winners of the contest will be announced by October 29, 2019.